Sunday, July 6, 2008

a challenge.

After discussing my recent purchases, it's time to shift gears. Today, I have decided to give myself a challenge. It's going to be a really difficult one for me, but I'm excited to try it. If all goes well, I think I will do it one week out of every month. We'll see how it goes. Yesterday, as Jared and I were discussing our financial situation, it hit me. It's not so much bad that I don't have an income, but it's rather my spending that is going to get me in trouble with staying at home. DUH. If I don't spend money, I don't need to make money. I mean, yes, there are things we need to buy. Gas to get around. Groceries to eat. Dog food. Electricity. Water. The staples. But, I do not need to go shopping every other day and find it necessary to buy a new clock for the office or a new dog collar. Dakota will survive without those cute pink sunglasses and probably will never even know when she is 30 she didn't get them.

So, after this morning of grocery buying and picking up some formula, (and one more last Starbucks drink) I have hereby halted the money spending for the entire week. No shopping. No Starbucks. No shoes. No cleaning supplies I don't really need. No candles. No fast food. No Coach wallets. You get the point. Instead, good old fashioned fun. There is plenty to do that is free.

I figure the best way to survive the week is to plan ahead. So tomorrow, Dakota and I will be headed to the pool at Scott's to swim. Tuesday, we need to be here to await the UPS man with my new phone, so I'm planning on DVR'ing Diego and Dora. Wednesday, we are headed to the library to pick up some books and hopefully a few kids movies. Thursday, Jared has the afternoon off so I plan on using the fireworks we didn't use on the 4th. I have bubbles so we can play outside and swing. I plan on baking some cookies for Jared to take to work. And tackling the huge pile of laundry in the bedroom. Taking the dogs on walks. Cooking and trying a few different recipes.

It should be interesting....wish me luck.

2 comments:

Erin Shipps said...

I think this is very admirable. Best of luck to you! We've cut down a lot on spending, realizing we (and by we I mean I) to way too much of it!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! But I way prefer the challenge where you buy Coach wallets. haha!