Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bird attack!

After breakfast, I decided to try and get some work done. I am making a list of local ad agencies and sending my resume to try and get some freelance copywriting work. I brought my laptop out to the patio. Grabbed a cold soda. Put Dakota in her swing. Let the dogs get some air and run around a little bit.

I was ready to work. But Mother Nature had other plans.

As soon as I put Dakota in her swing, Layla found a bird perched on our fence. Great. She started barking at it, and I thought it would easily fly away and I could get to work in peace and quiet. But alas, no. Not in our backyard. The bird fell off the fence and onto the ground. At that point, I knew it was toast. Clearly unable to fly (it looked pretty small, probably a baby) it ran to the corner of our yard where there are some leftover fence boards. Unfortuantely for the bird, Layla can still get through. No longer able to see Layla, I hear mad chirping sounds and Layla rustling back there. As I scream at Layla to "LEAVE IT!" Dakota starts crying. I can no longer help the bird.

The bird runs out of the fence boards and then gets tag-teamed by Layla and Addie as Layla starts biting at it and attacking it. I continue to scream at Layla as the bird runs to the other corner of our fence and tries to escape, but doesn't make it. I run over and stop Layla, and the bird becomes lifeless and flips over on its back, blinking its sad little eyes. Blink, blink. Blink, blink. Since Jared is busy with orientation, I call my dad. He knows I am an animal lover and tries to make me feel better by telling me it's mother nature. So, I let the dogs back in the house and let the bird rest there until Jared gets home to deal with it.

I just went back out there to see what was going on, and the bird is gone. Maybe it was really playing dead?!?!

The victim:








The attacker:

No comments: