Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A year ago.

So, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic and emotional these days. A year ago at this time, fall was in the air back in Kansas. I was finishing up my last few days at Garmin. I remember being very large, very pregnant and very uninterested in work. I could hardly make it through an 8 hour day at my desk and would have to go home early to take a nap. That office chair was killer and I didn't think I could make it much longer....

Little did I know my life was about to change for the better, forever....

Yep, you guessed it. Dakota is about to turn 1. On September 28, she will turn the big 1. And while I am extremely excited she is about to meet this big milestone in her life, as a mother I am extremely...I don't know what the word is. Not sad - that's not it. I'm not sad she is turning 1. Maybe bittersweet. My little girl is growing up.

She has changed so quickly right before my eyes. I can't believe how big she is getting and how fast she is learning. It's amazing to watch her see new things in the world, and I just want to shelter her forever and never let her grow up. Yet, I want her to grow up and turn into a woman I am proud of. I want to see her play her first t-ball game. I want to see her first ballet recital. I want to get her all dressed up for her first day of school. But I don't want any of that to happen too fast. As a mom, I want to see her hit milestones, yet I don't. For instance, last night, she stood unassisted for about 15 seconds. I sat there in awe and couldn't believe this little petite 17-pound girl was standing all by herself. At times, I can't wait for her to walk and can't resist thinking about how cute it's going to be to hear little pitter-patter of feet in the mornings. But that means growing up is hard to do...for mom, too.

Giving birth to Dakota tops my life list for all-time best ever events (besides getting married, of course!) I have a feeling her 1st birthday will be a close follower. My mama always made sure my birthdays were so special, with the coolest cakes decorated by her, the presents I dreamed of and a special day with the most talked about parties. I hope Dakota's 1st will be one to remember, too.

I love you Dakota! You will always be my baby girl.



2 comments:

Kim said...

Time doesn't slow down, either. It just keeps on trucking, sometimes leaving you behind. D's going to love being 1! I can't wait to see her (hopefully soon) and watch her walk!

Erin Shipps said...

Life does this to us doesn't it? I'm so anxious to have a baby right now, but I really should just live for the day and experience it! Thanks for your inspiring post. I know I will learn a lot from you in the future. :)